Thursday, March 20, 2014

14.3 Notes


Last Thursday, I knew that the weekend of 14.3 (because weekends during the CrossFit Games Open are titled by their corresponding workout number) was going to be a special one. Not only did I show the world the #kinneyshuffle, Dave Castro and company announced a workout that suited me well. Upon the 14.3 announcement, I knew that I would put up a good performance. Also, my girl was coming in town, just to add to the awesomeness of the weekend. 

I was as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve! Then, that little demon of doubt in my head started whispering, as he so opportunely does… I started to fear that my back would tighten up because it had earlier in the week. In reality, my back was fine, totally fine. But, the last thing that I wanted to do was disappoint myself and everyone who believes so strongly in me.

Em flew in early on Friday afternoon with plenty of time to get settled before heading to CrossFit Chickasaw for my 14.3. It was wonderful to simply have her there.

14.3 -2-1-Go Time

In front of about 30 of my dearest friends and family at CrossFit Chickasaw, Karen (fellow Honorary Invicti and training partner) and I attacked 14.3.



I planned and stayed unbroken through the 155lb. barbell. My back and the deadlifts felt great, so I kept moving. My pre-game strategy for the 25 reps of 185lb. was to complete it in sets of 12-8-5. To my pleasant surprise, I still felt good, so I did sets of 16 and 9 instead. The 30 reps at 205lb. were tough but I labored through them and was able to get to the 225lb. bar with about 30 seconds remaining. I managed 9 deadlifts at the final bar in sets of 4, 2, 2, and 1.

My goal for this workout had been written down. What was written, you ask?

“225#”

Meaning…

I wanted time on the 225lb. bar.



I met and exceeded that goal. Doing so in my home gym with Em and everyone else there to watch was such an amazing feeling. The weekend proved to be the special one that I had imagined. I am one lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment